Welcome to Steel & Ice!

December 1, 2010 | 20 Comments | Email | Print

Hi everyone! Welcome to Steel & Ice, a new section of Brown Eyed Baker where I’m going to be dishing about sports, mostly hockey and football, and mostly with a Black and Gold spin ;-) This is an offshoot of The Weekend Dish, the series that appears on Saturdays with a recap of the week’s recipes, links to other food blogs, and some random musings. That will continue to be posted on the main page every Saturday, but the last section of it (where I ramble about life and sports) will be omitted and instead I’ll be chatting about sports over here :)

Some of what I ramble about on The Weekend Dish has to do with random everyday life stuff. I really enjoyed and looked forward to writing about that too, so I’ve created another offshoot of Brown Eyed Baker where I’ll be chatting about life, books, movies, travels, my dog, etc. Head on over to Unplugged (freshly launched today as well) to get the details!

I’m excited to have a place to unload all of my sports-related thoughts, and hope you’ll enjoy reading and interacting!

I have to give a shout out to my Pittsburgh pal, Allison. She’s also a big sports fan, and when I first started kicking around the idea of adding a sports section to my site I told her I couldn’t think of a name for it. She was the one who threw out “Steel & Ice” in an email to me and I immediately fell in love with it. It’s a perfect depiction of my love of sports. Thank you Allison, you rock!

The Grand Tour

Now, let me show you around the new digs…

About page: A little background on how my sports obsession began. (Accessible from top navigation bar.)

Archives: Posts will be accessible here by both category and month/year. (Accessible from top navigation bar.)

Game Photos: I separated the categories into football and hockey; you can click on either to view thumbnails of different games and events that I’ve attended. Roll over the thumbnail to view the full event description and date. Click on the thumbnail to view a slideshow of all the pictures. They are in order from most recent to oldest.  (Accessible from top navigation bar.)

Blogroll: The sports blogs that I read most often. (Located in the footer.)

As with all new site roll outs, there are bound to be a couple hiccups or missing links. I have double and triple-checked everything, but if you come across a broken link or something that doesn’t look right, please leave me a comment or shoot me an email to let me know!

Subscribing

Now, if you currently subscribe to Brown Eyed Baker by either RSS feed or email, you will NOT automatically receive updates to Steel & Ice. I created a separate RSS feed so you can choose whether or not to receive updates (and I hope if you like sports you’ll want to hang out with me here!). I’ve also created an option where you can subscribe to all three (Food, Unplugged and Steel & Ice) feeds. Choose the subscription option below that best suits your needs:

Subscribe to the Brown Eyed Baker Full RSS Feed.

Receive Steel & Ice updates via email.

Receive ALL (Food, Unplugged, Steel & Ice) Brown Eyed Baker updates via email.

Warning: file_get_contents(http://api.bit.ly/shorten?version=2.0.1&longUrl=http://browneyedbaker.com/steelandice/2010/12/01/welcome-to-steel-ice/&login=browneyedbaker&apiKey=R_c26f44861d3f74834c322eb7f2020ff0) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found in /home/browney1/public_html/steelandice/wp-content/themes/thesis_18/custom/custom_functions.php on line 163

20 Responses to Welcome to Steel & Ice!

Paula December 1, 2010 at 3:49 am

The sports I love are motogp and soccer, so I have not idea about the teams and sports you talk, but I’ll pay attention ;) And the boy is cute, so it’s a good beginning xD
You’re also cute, keep smiling ;) and congratulations again!!

pamela ponder December 1, 2010 at 9:27 am

I am a huge sports fan..Football is my passion I love the Cowboys..I know I know they are having a horrible year but if they would have just listened to me and fired Wade Phillips weeks ago I believe we wouldnt be in this mess…
I love MIZZOU collage football MIZ ~ ZOU
and I still follow my high school team which by the way won state!!!! so exciting I graduated from Webb City Mo. GO CARDS!!!!

Diane in MD December 1, 2010 at 9:36 am

A fellow Steelers and Pens fan here–I love this addition to your site! Great name, too!

Michelle December 1, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Thanks Diane! Go black and gold!

Delishhh December 1, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Great concept here. Love your writing :) I am not a Steeler fan but i am subscribing since this is you :)

Michelle December 1, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Aww, that makes me smile, thank you! :)

Brie December 1, 2010 at 3:14 pm

The Penguins! On a food blog! Woot! ::doin’ a jig::

Michelle December 1, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Woot! Do the penguin waddle ;-)

Terri December 1, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Love the picture with Sid. Going to my first Pens game at the Consol Energy Arena tomorrow night and can’t wait. I’ll be hobbling there on a fractured foot but wouldn’t miss it for anything. Go Pens!!!

Michelle December 1, 2010 at 8:39 pm

I’ll be there tomorrow night too Terri! You will love the arena, have fun!! Let’s Go Pens!

Terri December 2, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Great game and Sid is just AWESOME. We sat at the end where he scored goals 2 and 3 tonight – what a view!!

Michelle December 5, 2010 at 3:29 pm

So glad you had a great time! A wonderful first-time experience for sure! I was at the end where he scored the first one :)

Jacci December 1, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Love this! I’m (maybe) as passionate about baking/cooking and sports (especially Pittsburgh sports) as you! Looking forward to your posts here and, as always, at Brown Eyed Baker. Thanks!

Michelle December 1, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Hi Jacci! Great to hear from another sports-loving baker :)

Amanda December 1, 2010 at 8:40 pm

So excited for Steel & Ice! We just got our Winter Classic tickets this week – I can’t wait for Christmas. We’re also going to the game against the Thrashers on the 28th in the new (to me) arena :)
I had a twitch for gingerbread cookies, so I’m making your recipe for Lebkuchen right now!

Michelle December 1, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Thanks Amanda! I just bought my Winter Classic tickets today – I felt like a little kid on Christmas morning. So excited!! And you’ll love the arena – it’s great. I’m going to the game against the Thrashers tomorrow. Enjoy the lebkuchen – they are awesome – super spicy!

Amanda December 2, 2010 at 8:26 am

I love the flavor of the lebkuchen – but the texture was a little too dense for me. (and I realize they didn’t call for ginger, but I added some anyway to up the spicy-ness). Then of course I saw the ultimate ginger cookies on your post today… I’ll have to try those.

Michelle December 5, 2010 at 3:31 pm

You will love those ginger cookies!

Allison December 2, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Needless to say, I’m super excited about both of the sites—but especially this one! Go, go black and gold!