HBO 24/7: Best.Thing.Ever.

December 17, 2010 | 9 Comments | Email | Print

On Monday I added HBO just so I could watch 24/7. One of the best decisions I’ve ever made. There has been so much hype around this series profiling the Penguins and Capitals leading up the Winter Classic that you had to wonder if it would live up to it. No question, it surpassed the hype. I wondered how the cameras would end up portraying the players, the team and the organization given what Hard Knocks has revealed in the past. Granted, this first episode was filmed in the midst of the Penguins’ long win streak, but I don’t think Pens fans could have asked for anything better.

The Penguins, from the front office down to the players, came off as poised, polished, focused, and a genuine family. Made me proud to be a fan not only of the team but of the organization, and proud to be from Pittsburgh. There is some candid video of Dupuis and Talbot at their respective homes, a behind the scenes look at Shero and Bylsma having a meeting evaluating player performance, and all kinds of other goodness.

Oh, and the show also featured the Capitals (heh). They’re in the middle of a 7-game losing streak, everyone looks miserable, boo hoo. You’ll catch a glimpse of Ovechkin in his bikini briefs (which I think the whole world could do without), Boudreau effing up a storm (hurricane would be more accurate) and he also made some mention of grabbing sacs. He basically made Rex Ryan look like an angel. It all basically validated that the Capitals are an obnoxious organization.

Now, back to the Pens. This, by far, was my favorite sequence of the entire first episode. The team plane trip to Buffalo and then hotel shenanigans:

Craig Adams reads books (he should start a book club). Orpik, Malkin and Cooke played cards. Sid, Fluery, Rupp and Talbot played some kind of PSP game and talked trash to each other. Everyone seems to like candy. And then some rookie pranks at the hotel. Love, love, love all of it.

The Pensblog has YouTube clips of their 5 favorite scenes; they’re all great. The whole show is awesome. One month of HBO is totally worth it for this if you’re a Pens fan.

Did you watch the first episode? What did you think?

Edited to Add: The NHL has made the entire first episode available online. You can watch it here.

Warning: file_get_contents(http://api.bit.ly/shorten?version=2.0.1&longUrl=http://browneyedbaker.com/steelandice/2010/12/17/hbo-247-best-thing-ever/&login=browneyedbaker&apiKey=R_c26f44861d3f74834c322eb7f2020ff0) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found in /home/browney1/public_html/steelandice/wp-content/themes/thesis_18/custom/custom_functions.php on line 163

9 Responses to HBO 24/7: Best.Thing.Ever.

Deanna December 17, 2010 at 7:20 am

I thought about ordering HBO to watch this series, but I was afraid it would show the players in a bad light, and I didn’t want my impression of the team to change. I ‘m glad I was wrong! Would love to see how they reacted to the last two games – yikes!

Michelle December 17, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I know I’ll be curious to see if there’s a shift in perspective now that the Pens have lost a couple.

Angie December 17, 2010 at 9:10 am

My husband and I were watching this on Monday. The Buffalo hotel antics were hilarious! We’re in St. Louis, born and raised, so naturally we’re Blues fans, but we’re also Crosby fans in general so I was having a blast watching this!

Michelle December 17, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I loved Ben Lovejoy… “We’re going to find out who did this… and probably do absolutely nothing about it.” It’s fun to watch them just being young kids and having fun.

Quinn December 17, 2010 at 1:46 pm

God I LOVE hockey!! This is a great show too. I worked hockey at the collegiate level for 8 years and I miss it. They are hands down the most fun/best athletes to work with- you can’t beat the “hockey world”. This show captures it all perfectly haha. Your site is one of my favorites!!

Michelle December 17, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Thank you Quinn! I have never worked in or around hockey but I just adore it being a fan. It seems that the athletes are the most “real” compared to any other professional sports. Glad to hear from an “insider” that the perception is indeed reality!

Dimitra December 17, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I did watch it and loved it. I couldn’t believe all the F bombs that were dropped, and I aswear like a sailor myself, but I still found it jarring for some reason. I do habe a soft spot for Ovechkin though *ducks for cover* and Crosby needs to lose the mustache. Can you tell I am not really a diehard hockey fan but watch it for other reasons? ;)

Michelle December 17, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I’ll give you that the Crosby mustache is cringe-worthy. But I definitely don’t want him to shave it – he’s growing it for his current points-streak. 20 games and counting!

Amanda December 17, 2010 at 8:53 pm

I just watched it on Pens TV online. It was WONDERFUL! My husband pointed out the candy on the flight to Buffalo too! I loved seeing the players’ interactions with each other. I wish I had an invite to their Christmas party, so fun!